Image d'introduction
lost or stolen passport
Texte d'introduction

Before going abroad, you made sure to check you had all the required travel documents. Shortly after reaching your destination, you encounter an unpleasant surprise: your passport seems to have disappeared. You might not immediately know what to do if your passport is lost or stolen abroad. Follow the steps that will allow you to replace your missing passport quickly!

Corps de l'article

Reporting your passport lost or stolen at the police station

The first thing you need to do is go to the local police station to report the theft or loss of your passport. This procedure will protect you in case of misuse of your passport. You will also receive a police report describing the circumstances of the loss or theft.

Reporting the loss or theft of your passport at the consulate

You must also report the loss or theft of your passport at the nearest embassy or consulate of your country of citizenship. Nationals of some countries, Australians or Canadians for instance, can do so online. If you are in possession of copies or scans of your passport, do enclose them in your report.

Replacing your lost or stolen passport

Requesting a new passport can take time… To be able to travel back to your home country, you could be granted an emergency passport or an emergency travel document instead of a regular passport. Emergency documents are only valid for a limited period and usually for a specific journey.

Keeping your documents safe when traveling

There are a few simple precautions you can take to avoid or limit the consequences of passport loss or theft abroad.

  • Remember to photocopy and scan all important documents before departure: ID card, passport, certificate of insurance...
  • Send scanned copies of these documents to your email address so you can print them easily if needed.
  • Keep a copy of the documents with you.
  • Don’t carry the original documents with you. Leave them in your hotel room for example. Take them with you only if necessary.
Titre articles poussés
Know more about : Temporary resident’s certificate