Image d'introduction
Australian permanent residency
Texte d'introduction

After a memorable road trip through the Bush or a year studying in study in Melbourne, many young people dream of settling in Australia. Indeed, the country attracts a large number of foreigners. In 2014-2015, Australia has planned to welcome about 190,000 new migrants. Labor migration is a priority: 68% of the visas are reserved for skilled workers. Thus, employment is the main pathway to permanent residence in Australia. 

Corps de l'article

Spotlight on 3 permanent residency visas

There are different types of visas which allow you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident (3 visa categories are particularly common). Though visa application requirements vary, being under 50 years old and having a good knowledge of English usually is always necessary.

You have a job offer in Australia: Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186)

This visa is designed both for temporary foreign workers (holders of Subclass 457 visa) and people who have little or no work experience in Australia. To be able to apply for this visa, you must be sponsored by an Australian employer.

Applications must be lodged online, whether you are already in Australia or not The Application for Permanent Employer Sponsored Visa Nominated form must be accompanied by the requested supporting documents (their number varies depending on your situation). Visa fees are high: you will indeed need to pay AUD3,520. Additional charges apply if you include your spouse and children in your application. The visa processing time is of 6 months.

You do not have a job offer in Australia yet: Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189)

You can apply for this point-based visa, in or outside of Australia. However, your occupation must appear on a list called Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and you will be expected to provide proof that you have the qualifications and/or required experience.

You must first submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) online, through SkillSelect. You can then only apply for a visa only if you receive an invitation. The visa fee is the same as for the Employer Nomination Scheme but applications are processed within 3 months.

You live in regional Australia: Skilled Regional visa (Subclass 887)

This visa is for people who are in Australia and have lived at least 2 years and worked at least one year (full-time) in certain regions of the country. It is therefore necessary to be able to supply proof of residence and employment.

Applications must be lodged online by completing the Application for a Temporary Skilled Graduate or Regional visa form and attaching the required documents. This visa costs AUD370 and can be obtained within 6 months.

What is SkillSelect?

The SkillSelect procedure enables the Australian Government to regulate migration flows and facilitate the immigration of skilled workers. To get a number of permanent resident visas, this online procedure is mandatory.

Submitting an Expression of Interest (EOI)

Depending on the visa, you will need to provide various information: occupation, work experience, qualifications, level of English proficiency... You will receive a score, based on the information you gave. Your EOI will then be visible in SkillSelect for up to 2 years. During this period, you might either receive an invitation to apply for a visa or an Australian employer could contact you. Do note that annual occupation quotas may apply. If you receive an invitation, you will have 60 days to submit your visa application.

To find out more about becoming an Australian permanent resident:

Go to

Titre articles poussés
Know more about : Getting ready to live abroad